Thursday, May 21, 2009

About the May Header Photo



I'm also experimenting with photography. I chose this photo to start with because it represents several important elements in my life.

First, family. My sister W. brought the strawberries by last week. They are freshly picked from a strawberry patch near her home. She got to the patch at daylight to pick them for me and drove 2 hours to deliver them on her way to visit our mother. This meant a lot to me because she has just recovered from her second knee replacement surgery and suffers from arthritis so it was a sacrifice on her part. It's rare to have someone sacrifice like that, so I'm feeling very special and blessed!

Second, books and philosophies. Charlotte Mason is the author of a homeschooling series from the late 1800's and early 1900's. Our philosophies are close to the same: Children are each unique, whole persons, who thrive on interesting living books (not "fluff"), good habits and education as an atmosphere, a discipline, and a life. You can read more of Charlotte Mason's philosophy of education at http://simplycharlottemason.com/.

Third, lifestyle diet. For those who know me well, you know I've struggled with my weight and also with my health at times. Fresh fruits and vegetables are now the main part of my diet and this is just the beginning of a new lifestyle of eating for me.

Fourth, the kitchen is the center of my home.. The white bowl here is a favorite. It is nice and heavy, but I like it mostly because it reminds me of my Grandma Henry. She had bowls very similiar to this one. The lemon squeezer also reminds me of my childhood and were still seen in many homes in the 50's.


O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him. Psalms 34:8 KJV

11 comments:

Laura A said...

Oh, goody! I get to be the first commenter!

Sounds like it's going to be a very encouraging blog, Abby! I like your header photo, especially the inclusion of the Charlotte Mason book. Nice composition in your photo, too. It all fits together, symbolically and aesthetically :-)

Gumbo Lily said...

Abby, I'm so happy that you've decided to give blogging a go. I, too, really like your blog banner at the top and give my hearty thumbs-up to Charlotte Mason, fresh strawberries, country bowls and reamers. I know I'm going to enjoy visiting your blog. Good work!

Jody

Lisa Richards said...

Good start, Abby! I hope you enjoy blogging and the little challenge of finding interesting things to talk about. It's a lot of fun.

I, for one, would love it if you put me on your blog list. That's what keeps it all going!

Plain Ol' Vanilla said...

Abby Girl,

I'm honored to comment on your blog. I have that very same verse on the header of mine. God IS good. I will look forward to reading more about your life and know it will be a welcoming place!

Joyce

Bunny McCoy said...

Lovin' it...lovin it!!! I'm so happy for the blogosphere to have access to your sensitivity and wisdom. I suppose I've horded it for myself too long. :-)

Michele

Leslie said...

Great job, Abby!

dixymiss said...

Welome to blogging! Looks like you are off to an eXcellent start. The header is beautiful ~ particularly in light of all it represents.

ohiofarmgirl said...

Welcome to the blog world..there are so many nice ladies to meet. Have fun and share often...I will be back to visit you. Dianntha

Michelle Gregory said...

your header makes me hungry. i hope you enjoy this blogging endeavor.

blessings,
Michelle

In This My Life said...

Thank you, dear friends, for welcoming me so warmly. I hope you will come back often. Love you all.

My Front Porch said...

Ooo, Abby, love it! Your title is so poetic. What adorable princes and princesses you are blessed with. I'll be back.

Jeannie