Monday, June 8, 2009

Wheat Harvest


Rice is the first crop planted in the spring. Then we follow with soybeans. Wheat is planted in the fall after the other crops are harvested. It is called Winter Wheat and creates patches of beautiful vibrant green in the dead of winter. This is the time for harvest and many farmers plant soybeans behind the wheat. We are letting this field "lay out" or rest this year after it is harvested. We practice crop rotation and always plant crops which will add back to the soil after another crop has used the nutrients. Yesterday we started the wheat harvest. Master March planned his visit so he could ride the combine--one of his favorite things in the world.



Happy farm boy




There is a buddy seat with a seat belt.




View from inside the cab.




Another view.


Much of the time the driver of the combine is looking up and to his right at a screen. Once the pattern for cutting is established a gps records it (somehow--above my head) and the combine actually steers itself! We use it on tractors, also. This would've saved a lot of arm waving back when I first learned to drive a tractor! Another advantage of this compurized genius device is that during harvest it shows the bushels per acre yielded and the exact spot that may be weak or strong, so when applying fertilizer you set it up with the spreader and it unloads the exact amount of nutrients needed in any given area.








Usually we have grain carts go into the field to carry the grain to the truck, but this is a smaller field and we don't have the manpower to run an extra machine because rice watering is also underway. The combine is unloading directly into the truck,




This is "Neecy" waiting on her Dad, who will drive the grain to the port on the Mississippi River. It will be loaded on a barge and delivered to the buyer who may be in the United States or another country.





10 comments:

Plain Ol' Vanilla said...

I love seeing pictures of your world and life, Abby. So refreshingly different from my own life in suburbia, it's a peek into what I've heard you talk about and now I get a front row seat---well---almost!!!
Thank you!
Joyce

In This My Life said...

So glad to have you visit today. I love reading of your world and wisdom you share. Come back soon.

Gumbo Lily said...

I really like seeing "what you do" there in farm country. Thanks for sharing what life is like your neck of the country.

Jody

In This My Life said...

Clarice, thanks so much for stopping by and your kind words.

Jody, I also like reading of your life in the country. Thanks for visiting!

The Kings said...

It is strange for us to think about these things being "news" to so many people, isn't it? It is a very good thing you do by sharing its richness with those who don't know.

In This My Life said...

Thanks, Jen. Yes, this is everyday for us, isn't it? They say write about what you know, so that's what I'm doing! Good to hear from you.

dixymiss said...

I had no idea how sophistacated farming has become ~ GPS navigation and computerized fertilizer loads, et al. Fascinating! Enjoyed the peek into your world.

granny e said...

Everyone is talking about how sophistocated farming has become, and it has.

But, the big thing for me was seeing the Little Mister sitting there overseeing everything. How much like his Dad he looks.

I know you are very proud of him and I know Grandpa couldn't have a better overseer:)

In This My Life said...

E,
Little Mister does love machinery! And he reminds me so much of his Dad I feel as though I've stepped back in time sometimes.

Diana said...

This is all so amazing. What a wonderful life for kids and it seems your boy loves it. Neecy is a sweety! The color in the photo that says 'another view' is really pretty.